Our COVID-19 Response Team has worked diligently in preparing guidelines and policies that will serve to help in the protection and maintenance for the safest learning environment possible for our WCA students, faculty, and staff. The guidelines and policies have been based upon guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, TN Governor’s office, TN State Dept. of Education, and under the direction and guidance of the WCA Board of Directors. The 12 member team consists of WCA Board Members, Administrators, Classroom Teachers, Custodians, and School Nurse.
- School will begin Monday, August 10.
- Preschool hours: 8:30-2:15. Doors will open at 8:15 and latest pick-up is 2:30.
- PreK-8th grade hours: 8:00-3:00. Doors will open at 7:30 and latest pick-up is 3:15.
To maintain a safe environment, Parents/Guardians/Caregivers are asked to drive through the pick-up and drop-off line and remain in their cars.
Parents/Guardians/Caregivers are asked to prescreen at home. Any student displaying symptoms of a fever of 100 or more without fever reducing medicine OR irregular respiratory symptoms (coughing, difficulty breathing, etc.) should not be brought to school.
Faculty/Staff, likewise, are advised to stay at home if displaying symptoms of a fever of 100 or more without fever reducing medicine OR irregular respiratory symptoms (coughing, difficulty breathing, etc.)
To maintain a safe environment, NO VISITORS will be allowed in the school. In case of an emergency, temperatures will be taken of anyone entering the building and they must a mask.
Morning Student Drop-off
Temperatures of all students, faculty, and staff will be checked each morning before entering the building using hand-held thermometers. Any student, faculty, or staff with a fever of 100 or more will not be allowed to enter the building.
Academic Instruction and Student Learning
- We will practice traditional instruction and learning daily while focusing on social distancing, hand washing, cleaning, and sanitizing of supplies and materials throughout the day.
- Classrooms will be arranged to maximize distancing and minimize face to face exposure:
- Preschool-Kindergarten students will sit at tables of 4 students or less.
- 1st – 8th grade student’s desks will be distanced, and all face the same direction.
- All students have been given a supply list of basic materials which they will use individually (without sharing) to prevent spreading of germs. These supplies will be kept at school so that they are available each day.
- Small group instruction will be limited.
Specialty Classes / Group Activities
- Chapel is arranged to provide social distancing. Proper cleaning by WCA custodial staff will occur prior to Chapel.
- Playground/Recess Daily outdoor activity and exercise is encouraged. A playground recess schedule will be posted to promote small groups and social distancing.
- P.E./Gymnasium P.E. activities/games will be planned in such a way to promote social distancing and keep students from sharing equipment. Only one classroom of students at a time may use the gym for recreational purposes and activities. All equipment used will be disinfected properly after each usage.
- Art Seating arrangements promote social distancing. Students have been asked to bring crayons, colored pencils, and markers to school. These will be stored in plastic bags with student’s names and are not to be shared.
- Music Seating arrangements promote social distancing. All materials and musical equipment will be properly disinfected after each use.
- Library Library books will be checked out and upon return be taken out of circulation for 72 hours. Seating arrangements will promote social distancing.
- PreK – 8th grade
- Nutritional snacks and lunches will be brought from home each day unless purchasing a catered meal on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- All faculty/staff/students will wash hands before eating.
- Tables will be properly disinfected before and after lunch periods by our custodial staff and educational assistants.
- Students will sit every other seat and diagonally across from each other.
- Faculty and staff will not handle student’s food. Microwaves will not be used to heat food.
- Students will bring a lunch from home and eat in their rooms. Faculty, staff, and students will wash hands prior to eating lunch. No lunches will be heated.
- All tables will be disinfected before and after lunch.
Students will need to bring a water bottle from home (labeled with their name) to use throughout the day. To decrease the spread of germs all water fountains will not be used.
- Preschool students will remain in classroom until individually called to the pick-up line.
- PreK-2nd grade students will line-up outside under the main awning while practicing social distancing.
- 3rd-8th grade students will line-up outside under the awning of the middle school building while practicing social distancing.
Early and Emergency Pick-up
- Parent/Guardian will notify the office prior to arrival.
- Parent/Guardian will call the school office when you arrive at the school.
- Parent/Guardian will wait outside the main WCA entrance until the student is released.
- Parent/Guardian will sign out student upon departure.
Protocol Should Student Become Ill During School Day
- Student will be sent to the office/school nurse to have temperature taken.
- Parent/Guardian will be notified immediately.
Current emergency telephone number must be on file in the office.
- Student will be quarantined until parent arrives to check-out the student.
- Student cannot return to school until parent has notified office (967-5466).
E.S.P and Extra-Curricular Activities (Sports, Clubs)
- WCA Extended School Program will follow all daily protocol and procedures that apply.
- WCA Clubs will follow all daily protocol and procedures that apply.
- WCA elementary basketball will follow protocol and procedures governed by the Franklin County Elementary Basketball league.
- WCA Middle School sports will follow protocol and procedures governed by TSSAA.
Daily Hygiene / Cleaning Procedures
- Hand washing with soap and water will be practiced throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer dispenser(s) are in the preschool, elementary, and middle school buildings. Students will be supervised to insure proper usage.
- Disinfectants will be used throughout the day to clean work areas and classroom surfaces as needed.
- Disinfectants will be used at the end of each day for preparation to return the following day.
- Students may wear a mask throughout the day if they or their parents desire it.
- Faculty/Staff may wear masks if desired or if close proximity to students is required.
Procedures for a WCA student/faculty/staff member who has tested positive for COVID-19:
- A WCA student/faculty/staff member who tests positive for COVID-19 must notify the school office (967-5466), principal (931-308-8691), or school nurse (931-636-4210).
- They must follow their doctor’s orders and provide a medical release and/or negative test result prior to returning to school.
- The WCA school nurse and administrators will notify other staff/faculty members and parents as needed maintaining confidentiality through a written letter or verbal communication.
- All areas at school that have been exposed will be cleaned and disinfected properly as soon as possible.
- Faculty/staff/students possibly exposed will be closely monitored for any symptoms.
Procedures for a WCA student/faculty/staff member with someone in their household who has tested positive for COVID-19:
- In this case, a WCA student/faculty/staff member must notify the school office (967-5466), principal (931-308-8691), or school nurse (931-636-4210) immediately.
- The WCA student/faculty/staff member will not be allowed to return to school for a minimum of 14 calendar days and three consecutive days of no symptoms and no medications. After the quarantine is complete, the parent is required to notify the principal and/or school nurse before returning to school.
Procedures for a WCA student/faculty/staff member who is exposed to someone who has tested positive test for COVID-19:
- Exposure is considered being in close contact, within 6 feet, of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 for 10 minutes or longer.
- A WCA student/faculty/staff member must notify the school office (967-5466), principal (931-308-8691), and/or school nurse (931-636-4210) immediately.
- A WCA student/faculty/staff member who is exposed may be advised to: wear a mask while at school, monitor for symptoms, and be tested for COVID-19.
In the event of changes in our area with regards to COVID-19, these guidelines may be subject to modification.
After review of the CDC Update on quarantine time, we will stay with the 14 day quarantine for those who have COVID-19 or those who live in the same household with someone who has COVID-19.
While face covering will not be mandated for the total day, we will require masks during the following activities for Faculty/Staff/Students except for Preschool and PreK students:
- One-on-one learning/instruction
- Small groups (class projects)
- Hallways during class changes
Step Up and continue sanitizing all surfaces and frequent handwashing.
Morning Drop-off Procedures/Screening:
- Continue taking temperatures before student gets out of car.
- Screening Questions asked before students get out of car.
- Has your child been exposed to COVID-19 within the last 2 days?
- Has your child taken any fever reducing medication before coming to school?
- Has your child shown any symptoms as stated in the COVID-19 policy within the last 2 days?
All sports teams/events will follow the current/updated TSSAA guidelines.
If case numbers increase, we will monitor and change schedules and activities as needed.Download Covid-19 guidelines